Welcome to the home page for WRP’s Critical Edition of Whitehead project. Here you will find a summary of what we are currently working on.
- For an overview of the Edition’s history and goals, as well as information on its editorial staff and advisory board, see the About page.
- To view quarterly update reports on Critical Edition progress, please click here.
- To view the supplementary materials for the second volume of Harvard lectures (HL2), please see the HL2 Supplement page.
- Reviews of Critical Edition volumes can be found on their respective pages (see links below).
Summary of current work
With the second volume of Harvard Lectures recently completed, Edition staff are currently focused on editing the materials slated for the first volume of Collected Essays and Articles. In the meantime, editorial assistants have forged ahead with initial transcription of the materials slated for the sixth volume of Harvard Lectures.
Itemized list of progress on all volumes
The Harvard Lectures of Alfred North Whitehead
- Volume 1, 1924–1925: Published in February 2017.
- Volume 2, 1925–1927: Published in January 2021.
- Volume 3, 1927–1929: Initial transcription completed.
- Volume 4, 1930–1933: Initial transcription completed.
- Volume 5, 1933–1935: Initial transcription completed.
- Volume 6, 1935–1937: Initial transcription in progress.
The Essays and Articles of Alfred North Whitehead
- Volume 1, 1886–1918: Editing in progress.
- Volume 2, 1919–1943: Transcription verification in progress.
The Correspondence of Alfred North Whitehead
- The Whitehead-Russell Correspondence: Editing in progress.
- The Correspondence of Whitehead: Materials scanned and awaiting initial transcription.
The Monographs of Alfred North Whitehead
- Scanning and transcribing in progress.
Click here to make a one-time or monthly recurring donation via PayPal to the Critical Edition of Whitehead, a project of WRP. Your donation will help to hire staff to process, catalog, and transcribe materials, make new archival material acquisitions, and pay for publication and web hosting costs.
To donate to the Critical Edition by check, make it payable to “Gonzaga University” with the memo line “Critical Edition of Whitehead,” and send to:
Brian G. Henning
AD Box 47
502 E. Boone Ave
Spokane, WA 99258
Association for Documentary Editing
The Critical Edition adheres to the standards set forth by the Association for Documentary Editing (ADE), and is listed as an affiliate project on their website. The Critical Edition volumes are edited as clear text according to the Guide to Documentary Editing, accompanied by a minimally-intrusive interpretive and critical scholarly apparatus designed deliberately to avoid cluttering the core text with distracting insertions or interjections in order to permit the reader’s full engagement with the authoritative primary text. Editorial annotations are used throughout to meticulously record and justify editorial decisions and to help clarify ambiguities in the original. The texts are studied closely by at least two separate editors.